We had a successful trip to swim class this past Saturday. I decided to get there early so Noah had time to warm up to whole idea of getting in the water. He LOVES the idea of going swimming, but when it comes to actually doing it, he wants nothing to do with it. He was super excited to go in and when we went into the pool area, and he was still super excited. This was a complete change from the following week when my dad took him. He wanted noting to do with it right from the start....he wouldn't even go through the revolving doors to get into the pool area. I picked him up and walked right into the pool which was like bath water and so nice. He seemed hesitant but was ok as long as the water wasn't touching him. Then the teacher handed out cups and I asked if he wanted to splash me and pour water on my head. He loved that idea. I asked him if I could pour water on him and he gave me a big fat "no!" So we continued to do the whole water pouring thing and I tried to get him wet, which he didn't like, but I did it anyway and told him it was ok. We didn't do everything the class was doing partly because he resisted getting anything other then his feet wet and we were supposed to go across the pool which was not happening. The whole time he was telling me he wanted out and was clenching onto me for dear life, he also screamed "no, no, no" anytime we did something he didn't like, but I didn't give up and kept him in there.
Its new to him and very different, but I think he did an awesome job and was so proud of him that we were able to complete the class without a major meltdown. I looked at the other kids who were about his age and some of them were jumping in and they looked like they were having so much fun, and I want that for Noah as well. I asked the teacher if she thought it was something I should continue to do with him or give up because he didn't like it. She told me that she has seen kids much worse and one of the boys in the class also hated it when he started, he just wasn't yelling "no" as loud as Noah. She also told me that some parents look at swimming as something kids need to learn as a safety issue, while others could care less if they knew how to swim. It was completely up to me as to whether or not I wanted to pursue it with him and I am going to. I told him I was very proud of him and took him out for ice cream afterwards which he was very happy about. Then I asked him if he had a good time and wanted to go back and he said "yes!!"
I also noticed how out of my class of 10, there was only 1 other mom besides myself. I guess that is one class the dads don't mind taking the kids to in hopes of seeing some ladies in bathing suits!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment