Monday, November 10, 2008

The Joys of Toddlerhood


I was reading a blog the other day about things they don't tell you when you are pregnant, but where is the one about all the fun and exciting things about toddlers? (By the way...I am being sarcastic.)  Don't get me wrong, now that Noah is two, I never realized I could love him more and more each day.  He constantly does things to amaze me and his vocabulary is growing and maturing on a daily basis.  I can have a conversation with him and he tells me what he does and DOES NOT like.

When we go to the supermarket, I don't even have to make a list anymore.  I tell him what we are getting and he repeats it back to me, over and over again.  It definitely proves to be helpful.  He also repeats things I don't want him to but I am slowly learning to curb my language. Just because you have a kid, doesn't mean your potty mouth goes away overnight.  For me, it is something I have to be very aware of on a daily basis.  All I need is for him to go to school and say "Mrs Nicole, I am a pecker"......yeah....that would not be good.  One day at a time though....right?

He sings songs and teaches me some new ones and ones I forgot.  He is gentle with the kitties and loves to chase them around.  He is just so sweat and loveable.

Like how he always wants to do or go where we are going.  "Can I come too" he asks.  "If course I can" he then responds to himself.

The way he sticks his finger in the brownie, licks it and says "That's delicious"

The way he puts his hands on my face and tells me I am beutiful....my heart just wants to melt.

The way he says hello to everyone in the supermarket and tells them to have a nice day.

But then there are the things that no one prepares you for till you have your own kid.  The things that they would never write in books for fear no one would procreate.  And the embarrassment you have never felt till you had a 2 year old little monster to call your own.....

Like the way he throws himself on the floor, in the middle of the deli department in Big Y, when you yell at him to stop squishing the bread.  Then he tries to crawl away from you and you continue to know you are losing this one, only to get dirty looks from the hoitty toity people waiting for their coldcuts.

Or when you are waiting for the lady in Walmart to help you and you tell your sweet, innocent youngster "We have to wait for the lady" and he shouts out "No, that's a man"......yeah I wanted to hide my head under a rock after that one.

Or how we have to drag him in the house (literally) when he insists that he be the one who shuts the door, but is so overtired and has a load of crap in his pants.

Or how he is so determined to do everything by himself, so when you try and help him, he throws a fit, screams bloody murder and shouts "DO BY SELF!!!"

Or how the sweet innocent child you gave life to and have watch grow and develop before your eyes, hits you upside you head with a truck and laughs when you get mad.  It takes all of my patience and control to not spank him.  (Which by the way, I do not do.  What kind of message is that to send to a kid anyway?  You hit me which is not okay, so I am going to hit you?)

Or how he will only eat mac and cheese, pizza and spaghetti and meatballs.  Well, they do warn about picky eating but when it actually happens it is SO frustrating.  The once veggie lover, who would devour a whole can of peas will now look at anything green and say "I don't like that"  GRRR!

8am this morning:
Noah: I want chicken nuggets and pizza
Me: We can have that for dinner.
Noah: I want chicken nuggets and pizza
Me: We can have that for dinner.
Noah: I want  ice cream
Me: after dinner
Noah: I want  ice cream
Me: After dinner
Noah: something that sounds like a whine followed by crying
Me :Turn my radio up to drown out whining toddler.

No comments: