Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Karma's a Bitch

I remember talking to friends of mine about our kids and their sleeping habits. Everyone used to tell me how lucky I was because I never had any problem putting Noah to bed. Well times have changed and I am eating my words of "He is such an awesome sleeper." Payback is definitely a bitch for me teasing them about their sleepless nights. Luckily my kid does not sleep with me, but seeing as bedtime has pretty much been smooth sailing for me for almost 2 years, waking up in the middle of the night is hard.

It started a couple weeks ago when I eliminated that evil plastic thing that used to sooth him to sleep.....The Binkie! After it was gone, monsters started showing up in his room and bedtime became an ordeal. Now he hasn't mentioned monsters in a while but he still doesn't want to go to bed. And that's what he tells me...."Mommy, I don't want to go to bed" and he does the pouty sad face and makes me feel bad. Why is he so reluctant to go to bed? Is this a normal thing for toddlers? I want to go to bed and he is full of piss and vinegar.

A few nights ago I put him to bed and he kept getting up after I had sat down on the living room couch to get comfy. Thankfully he hasn't figured out how to open his door yet, but I still had to get up and put him back in bed about 5 times.

Last night he woke up at 1am screaming....."Mommy, I'm thirsty. I'm thirsty Mommy. I want water. Mommy! Mommy? MOMMY!!!" So Mommy got up, got water, handed it to him and shut the door and went back to bed. Then I kept thinking I heard him crying....ahhhh! Its the new mom paranoia setting in again where I think I hear a kid cry every couple of minutes. Then my little 2 1/2ft alarm clock woke me up at 6:30ish. He is awake and happy, I am half asleep and grumpy. And to top it off the light in the bathroom blew so I got to take a nice shower in the dark....what a wonderful wake up!

I secretly want to give him back his binkie so he sleep peacefully again (and me too!!)

No comments: