Wednesday, June 25, 2008

a clean bill of health


Yesterday I had to go for my yearly physical to make sure all my parts are working properly.  I say yearly, but it has been about 3 since the last one so I figured it was time to get my ass in to see the doc, and the diagnosis.....I am A Ok!  She even joked that she wasn't going to find anything wrong with me, so I guess I must be doing something right after all.  There is just something about going to the doctors and having to put on the "blue gown, with no bra and open in the front"  It still makes me feel alittle bit squeamish to think this lady is going to be looking me up and down, head to toe.   You think I would be used to people looking at all my parts seeing as I gave BIRTH!  I was in the gyn's office once a month and then when it came down to the last month of pregnancy, I was in there close to every week. I was poked and prodded and spread eagle in front of lots of doctors and by the end I could care less.  All I wanted was to have the kid OUT OF ME!  I even when in the tub in labor and delivery with no clothes on in front of my Douala who I hadn't even meet till that night.....boobies flopping and everything and....I didn't care.  But I cared yesterday.  And for some reason I noticed I hadn't shaved my legs either....great!   I am sure the doc isn't going to be inspecting my nubby knees but still!  Thankfully my doc is awesome and made me very comfortable.  We even joked about letting the hubbies dress the kids and the horrible outcomes.  She lectured me about quitting smoking (even though I only smoke about 3 a day, which is kind of a waste in itself.  However it is more of a social thing when I am at work so that justifies why it is ok with me.)  And she wants me to go for routine bloodwork, X-ray and a sonogram for my thyroid.  I also had to get weighed on a DIGITAL scale, which is always fun.  There is no fudging the numbers when they are clear as day in front of you.  Much to my surprise I was back down to my pre=pregnancy weight which is good to know I am not more.  If I lost about 15lbs I would be super happy, but that will happen one of these days.

Seeing as Mike was working, my parents took Noah for the night and I was a free woman from 7pm on!!  I decided to get together with a friend of mine who, because of distance, I  haven't seen in a while.  I took a drive up to Poughkeepsie to have dinner with her.  I go up there frequently and have gotten so used to the drive, it seems like nothing to me.  Plus it was nice to take a drive on the highway (seeing as I very rarely leave CT.....yes sad I know), roll the windows down and crank the music....ahhhhhh!  I felt like I was a teenager again.  We spent about 2 hours there eating and chatting and I didn't want the night to end.  But when I looked at my watch and it was 9:30 and I started yawning, I knew it was time to go home.  That quick 30 mins ride felt more like a hour on the way home, but I made it.  I got home crawled into bed and passed out.  

I love my life now but I miss my friends.  I miss being able to call them with no notice and go out to dinner.  Now I have to have a baby-sitter or make plans weeks in advance.  As I get older it seems like you have to work so much harder to stay in touch with people, but it is so worth it for the good people in your life.

No comments: