Monday, June 16, 2008
Music class or boot camp?
So we had Music class on Saturday and instead of leaving happy and sad it was over, I left aggravated and annoyed. Ok so a quick recap: My friend Pam informed of this class sometime last year and we signed up seeing as it was a great price and a chance for me to get Noah involved in some activities. We had a blast and Noah really enjoyed it. So when the next semester started and she informed me that the price would stay the same, we decided to enroll Noah in again expecting the same great time......WRONG!
The first class was cancelled, then we had another class followed by the next class with no teacher and no idea where she was. She called us later that weekend and said she had car problems and no phone....ok, things happen....no biggie. So then we had the 3rd class which was fine, followed by another no call no show from the teacher. At this point I was pissed because the class is at 10am on Saturday during spring/summer season. We could have been out doing things instead of planning our day around this. I was ready to stop going all together but the owner called and personally apologized, said she fired the other teacher and said she would be teaching class from now on. I thought "great" because she is super bubbly and fun. We get to class and I guess plans have changed because someone else is teaching it, but I figured we would stay anyway. The new teacher seemed nice, different from our previous one, but still fun. However I don't think she should be teaching a music class designed for 2 year olds. Our old teacher Stacey said it is ok if the kids run around because even if we don't think they are absorbing things, they are.....and they were. Noah would come home and sing the songs even though he looked like he didn't care in class. This teacher expects the kids to stay seated and pay attention....... I mean are you serious? What toddler can pay attention for more the 10 mins let alone 45? She doesn't want them to run on the tile with socks on, they cant walk around with sticks in their hands, they cant play with shoes, they cant eat in class. This supposedly fun class has turned into a battle of wills and meltdowns because of all these rules....what happened to just having fun? And not only does she have rules for kids, but for the adults as well. I threw the music eggs in the bin when it was time to clean up and she goes "no throwing Mommy" And I thought to myself, I am not paying $185 to have someone tell me and my kid what to do, play the music and sing the damn songs and leave the parenting and rules to the parents. If I don't mind my kid running with socks on, then it isn't your place to say otherwise.
Oh, and did I mention our 10am class has yet to start at 10, but conveniently still ends at 10:45? It takes her forever to get set up, we have to help put the mats down but its still over on time? Definitely not getting our monies worth.
She is older and has children that are older and I really feel that she thinks "I didn't let my children do this, so you should let your children do it" As opposed to our other teacher who has a 3 year old.....2 very different schools of thought.
Note to self: Next time take the cheaper class at the Y.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so sorry it's not the same for you guys this semester! I feel bad!
Its not your fault, trust me. I do wish Stacey was still teaching though, she was great. I think we are going to take a break though and maybe try swimming next.
Post a Comment